Wednesday 29 August 2012

How To: Make Bilberry Wine

I live in the lovely countryside of West Yorkshire, and 'round these parts we have tons of bilberry bushes. Now, for those of you who don't know what a bilberry is, it's a bit like a blueberry but smaller and tastes a little less sweet, but still delicious.


Normally, our family goes bilberry picking together on the weekend of my mums birthday, which falls in early July. However, because the weather has been so ridiculous this year the bilberries are only just coming out now, in late August. So, off I went to get me some bilberries.

Usually we make either bilberry jam, or a few bilberry crumbles. This year I thought I'd give bilberry wine a go...

I make my own wine regularly, but I have realised that I have only ever blogged about it once, which was a while ago, so I thought I'd do some wine recipe sharing again :)



Equipment:
Fermentation Bucket (with lid) Demijohn with Cork and Airlock Wine Bottles

**All equipment MUST be sterilized before you start the process, I cannot stress this enough**

Ingredients:

3 lbs. Bilberries/Blueberries (if you can't find a bilberry bush)
4 1/2 Cups Sugar
1 Teaspoon Pectic Enzymes
1 Campden Tablet
1 Packet Wine Yeast
1 Teaspoon Potassium Sorbate

1. First things first: clean and disinfect ALL your tools AND your wine making area.

2. Clean and crush the bilberries.
3. Fill up the fermentation bucket up with your bilberries and water (up to the one gallon mark).
4. Add sugar and yeast.
5. Stick the lid on it.
6. Stir every 24 hours for a week.
7. Siphon (or "rack") the wine from the bucket to the demijohn and seal with the airlock.
8. Once the airlock has stopped reacting, add Potassium Sorbate to your wine.
9. Allow wine to settle for at least 3 days.
10. Bottle it.

30 days is the minimum time you should allow for the process. If you wait longer, your wine will taste better. My advice is once you bottle the wine, let it sit for between 6 months to a year.

It's so easy. Honestly. If I can do it, anyone can.

2 comments:

  1. hay hay and Blessings from Mississippi! I was doing a bit of reading about Bilberrys and ran across your blog, I just wanted to say hello and thanx for the recipe. I started trying to grow blueberrys a couple years ago, so maybe i need to add a bilberry or two. thanx and have a great life, love the green by the way, but having a bit of an issue reading the white format. OH and is that a dandylion in the back ground , gotta love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi, im an amateur wine maker can u tell me the purpose of the campden tablet and pectic enzymes because these are in your list of ingredients but not explained?? thanks

    ReplyDelete